Moving away from home can be a daunting task. As you prepare for a new life away from home, it’s better to plan ahead rather than scramble to get your things together days before. After all, it’s not easy deciding what’s going to fit in your new, shared (and did we mention small?) living space.
Know your room
First things first…if you haven’t seen the room you’ll be living in, make sure you call the university or find the dimensions online so you know what will fit and what won’t. Also, make sure you understand what will be provided for you. Most universities provide a bed, desk, chairs, and some type of armoire or dresser for your clothes.
Call your roommate
Speak to your roommate(s) and discuss who will be bringing what in terms of things you’ll be sharing. Some examples of shared items include:
- Radio/CD Player
- Few kitchen utensils
- Any furniture not already in the dorm room
Things you will need Here is a list of the college essentials. This list from Budget is also helpful.
- Computer or Laptop
- Desk lamp
- Alarm clock
- Cell phone or calling card
- Laundry bag and detergent
- Bath and personal items (towels, soap, shampoo, razor, toothbrush, toothpaste, any medicine you may take, etc.)
- Flip flops (community showers aren’t always clean)
- Phone book
- Insurance card
- Clothes (don’t bring your entire wardrobe – odds are there isn’t enough room!)
Some Savvy Advice
While it might be nice to bring everything you own to college with you, it’s certainly not realistic. Make a list of things you would like to have, and things you absolutely need, and then make a compromise between the two.
Some additional Moving tips Are:
- Bring plenty of socks and underwear
- you may not do laundry as often as you should.
- Pack some of your stuff in plastic storage bins – they’ll come in handy for storing clothes and other things you may not use right away.
- While you should bring items that will make you feel comfortable in your new space, avoid bringing too much memorabilia – you have to leave room for the new pictures and items you’ll be acquiring!
- Leave very expensive jewelry or sentimental items behind – things do get stolen.
- ake extra consideration on whether to bring video games – remember you are going to college to study, and being obsessed with Madden could get in the way Some More Articles to check out: Packing your Car Tips from the AllState Blog Moving resources provided by Uhaul That's all for now, good luck with your move!